5 Tips to Perfect Your LinkedIn Profile Picture

Posted by Charles Stiles

Dec 29, 2015 9:30:00 AM

iStock_000062801200_XXXLarge.jpgThere are several great reasons to attend a 100% online university like Grantham, including the dream of changing career fields … or simply moving up in your current one. Whatever your degree-then-career goal may be, as the world’s largest professional network, LinkedIn can be a huge resource.

But creating a LinkedIn profile and presenting yourself as a truly “hire-able” professional means having a profile picture that makes you look, well, professional and “hire-able.” These tips should give you the insight you need to make a fantastic impression before potential employers even read your bio. 

more

Topics: online degree programs, Career Tips, Looking Professional

5 Entry-Level Business Management Careers

Posted by Eden Lord

Nov 24, 2015 11:30:00 AM

iStock_000066984011_Small_1After teaching online for more than a decade, I’ve come to the realization that my favorite classes to teach are entry level business courses.

Students are eager to learn in those courses. They are full of ideas and plans. It’s a pleasure to help build their business education foundation.

That said, whenever I teach classes as part of an online business degree program, I know I will inevitably be asked “the question.”

more

Topics: Career Tips

5 Things Nobody Tells You about Your Career in Business Management

Posted by Eden Lord

Nov 20, 2015 3:01:22 PM

iStock_000055715590_SmallIt doesn’t matter how well your online business management instructors prepare you, the business world will throw you a few curveballs.

You’ll be up against budget constraints, missed deadlines, staffing issues and office politics, to name a few.

What really matters is how you handle situations when they pop up and how you apply concepts you’ll learn in your online business management program.

I can only say this with confidence because it’s happened in my own life. As the Founder and CEO of MedBuddy, I’ve worn every hat in the place and clawed my way through the toils to come out on top!

more

Topics: Career Tips

Don’t Waste Your Breath on these Words. They're Personal Brand Killers.

Posted by Charles Stiles

Oct 8, 2015 3:30:00 PM

iStock_000050939438_Small_1But … fine … okay, I’ll try.

In one opening sentence, I’ve managed to drop in three “no-no” words for the workplace.

Especially if you’re talking with a customer or, worse, your boss.

“But,” you say, “I need those words.” Then, after a moment you say, “Fine, if that’s how it’s got to be.” And then, “I’ll give it the old college … (wait for it) TRY!

According to a blog from our friends at Business Insider, these are just three examples of the kinds of words that can “harm your credibility, relationships, and opportunities for career advancement.” Basically, they can damage your personal brand.

more

Topics: Career Tips

5 Secrets Hiring Managers Wish You Knew

Posted by Valerie Morrow

Sep 30, 2015 3:30:00 PM

interview tips, hiring secrets, college after militaryI may have mentioned before that my parents are executive recruiters. Some people call them “Headhunters.” 

Either way, I’ve gained a great deal of insight from them over the years as I’ve launched my career and interviewed for different positions, committees and task forces.

I recently came across this article, and it validated the information I learned from my parents, other hiring professionals and my personal experience in those interviews.

Here's a combination of best tricks of the trade from the aforementioned article and a few golden nuggets I've been able to extract. Together they will, no doubt, help you leverage your accredited online degree and put your best foot forward.

more

Topics: Career Tips

4 Things You can Learn from the Introverts of the World

Posted by Valerie Morrow

Sep 28, 2015 4:45:00 PM

introverted leaders, military friendly collegeWhen you're working toward an accredited online degree at a military friendly university like Grantham, the online format sometimes makes it challenging to distinguish the personality differences of your peers.

But in the work world – the one that forces you into a group of people to get a job done, for better or for worse – the extroverts and leaders are pretty easy to spot. Or are they?

Research suggests that many of our assumptions about introverts (and leadership) are at least a little off base.

more

Topics: Career Tips

What Job Descriptions Really Mean by Must Have “Good Communication Skills”

Posted by Valerie Morrow

Sep 22, 2015 3:45:00 PM

iStock_000054707358_SmallAs you get closer to earning your accredited online degree, you’ll probably read a lot of job postings with employers seeking someone with excellent communication skills.

Although excellent communication skills are sought by nearly every employer, there’s no definitive definition for you to determine if it’s a skill you have or not.   

But, have no fear! It's a skill you can practice.

Employers want a Quadruple Threat
What employers won’t say is they are looking for someone who is a communication quadruple threat. According to a post at Chron.com, employers want a new hire who can effectively complete any task by communicating clearly and simply in four forms:

more

Topics: Career Tips

Negotiating a Better Raise: 5 things to ask for in lieu of Money

Posted by Valerie Morrow

Sep 11, 2015 11:00:00 AM

ask for raiseWhen it comes to earning a raise, many people never muster up the courage to ask.

Whether self-doubt or not knowing how to go about it, hundreds of thousand of employees earn far less than what they’re worth.  

Earning your 100% online degree means that you’re endowed with a certain set of marketable and coveted skills. The knowledge you’ve gained in your online college classes coupled with your life experience makes you a valuable asset.  

Very few employers will acquiesce to your first request. So most would take that no and run home with their tail between their legs. But not you, you have a plan!

more

Topics: Career Tips

What I learned when I started Working at Grantham University

Posted by Ashaunta Dorch

Sep 4, 2015 2:30:00 PM

talon_CCGrantham University doesn’t have a football team. While this may seem like trivial information, it is one of the first fun facts that I learned when I began my tenure as an Admissions Representative. The confusion stemmed from our having a mascot: Talon.

Why would a school have a mascot when it is online? While having an international fantasy football team among students could be ideal; so would having a bookstore with alumni gear and regalia, a Teaching and Learning Center, or a Career Services Department. Wait. We have all of those things!

We are not just phone numbers in a directory, the departments at Grantham interact with each other to help students make their dreams of earning a college degree a reality! At Grantham, we’re people too.  

more

Topics: Career Tips

5 Soft Skills You Learn in 100% Online College Classes

Posted by Valerie Morrow

Sep 1, 2015 2:45:00 PM

Mike.C.TrainingJuly’s unemployment numbers (the most current to date) paint an optimistic picture for recent college graduates.

With unemployment falling back to early 2008 levels, economists point to better than expected growth in a majority of the domestic industries.

Companies haven’t been shy about their plans to expand their labor forces or about the fact that those applying for jobs decisively lack soft skills.

more

Topics: Career Tips

Subscribe to Email Updates

You may also receive emails about our degree programs, tuition options, and, if applicable, enrollment process. Privacy Policy

Choose a Career You'll Love

About the GU Blog

Welcome to the Grantham University Blog! The purpose of this blog is to offer helpful resources to future, current and former online students wanting to excel in the distance learning environment and thrive in a competitive workplace. Visit us every day for fresh posts.